Are Essential Oils Beneficial to Skin? January 15 2017, 0 Comments
By: Lori S.
Essential oils have uplifting and relaxing properties and have been used for cosmetic purposes for many years. Essential oils are obtained by steam distillation and cold pressing in the purest form. Pure essential oils have many skin benefits among them, including a clear-looking complexion, reduction in the signs of aging and giving your skin a radiant glow.
- Ylang-ylang essential oil - Ylang ylang essential oil is a favorite as it helps reduce oil production and minimizes breakouts. It has a floral fragrance and helps regenerate skin cells. This can be beneficial in terms of anti-aging as it can reduce fine lines and make skin appear more youthful and plump.
- Tea Tree essential oil - This is a very popular essential oil amongst acne sufferers as it is known for its anti-bacterial properties. These properties can prevent the growth of acne-causing bacteria and help to regulate oil production; which is essential for us acne sufferers! Using tea tree oil regularly (every night) can reduce the severity and occurrence of breakouts.
- Frankincense essential oil - Similarly, to tea tree oil, frankincense essential oil has antibacterial properties. It can be used as a toner for acne-prone skin as it can even skin tone and has additional anti-inflammatory benefits. The essential oil can encourage new cell growth making it suitable for aging skin and it can reduce the appearance of scars. It is also very moisturizing, so can soothe irritated skin.
- Neroli Essential oil - This oil is particularly helpful in encouraging cell rejuvenation, so is very suitable for anti-aging and fading stretch marks. The oil can make aged skin appear more youthful and radiant as well as balance oil production without being overly drying on the skin.
- Rose Essential oil - Rose Essential oil has amazing benefits for dry skin. The essential oil is very moisturizing and contains antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory compounds. This makes rose essential oil helpful in treating psoriasis and dermatitis. It also contains compounds that promote healing.
- Patchouli Essential oil - Patchouli essential oil has many different benefits, one of the main ones being anti-aging. The oil helps to encourage new cell growth and can make skin appear more radiant with more elasticity. Additionally, patchouli essential oil is antibacterial, antiseptic and antifungal. This means, people with skin conditions such as dermatitis, acne, psoriasis and eczema can benefit from patchouli essential oil.
Remember, before using any essential oils on your skin, do a patch test to make sure there is no reaction between your skin and the oil. Also, essential oils should be diluted in a carrier oil. An essential oil should only be used for a maximum of 5%.