Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe Perfect for Thanksgiving October 21 2015, 0 Comments
Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe
There are plenty of vegan alternatives for thanksgiving and cheesecakes and here is a great one from Kathy Patalsky that we want to share.
For one Pie:
1 1/4 cups raw soaked cashews
1 cup maple syrup
1 can organic pumpkin puree (16 ounces) (or use fresh puree for even better flavor!)
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (high quality brand)
1 tub (8 ounces) tofu cream cheese
optional: 1/2 tsp salt to taste (depends how much salt you soaked your cashews in)
One standard vegan graham cracker pie crust
1. Soak one cup of raw cashews in 2 1/2 cups of water in a large bowl. Add about 1/2 – 1 tsp of salt to the bowl – mix to dissolve.
2. Soak the cashew bowl overnight in the fridge. Optimal times to let soak are 10-18 hours. Do not soak for over 24 hours.
3. Pie takes about 3 hours to finish.
4. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
5. Drain the water from your cashews. They should be very soft to bite and a slight purplish dark hue. This is normal. Add 1 1/4 cups of cashews to your food processor or blender.
6. Add in the maple syrup, vegan cream cheese and pumpkin pie spice. Blend on low -> high for about 3-5 minutes until the mixture is completely creamy. If your mixture is a bit thick for some reason – you can add in a few teaspoons of either water, maple syrup or even non-dairy milk. After blending, do a taste test and slowly add up to a 1/2 teaspoon of salt if needed.
7. Pour your mix into a graham cracker pie shell (store-bought or homemade).
8. Bake pie at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Then reduce to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 30-40 minutes. Your pie will firm up significantly upon cooling and chilling in the fridge.
9. Remove pie from oven. Cool on counter for at least 30 minutes. Then place in fridge until ready to serve. At least 2 hours cooling and/or chilling time is my preference. A warm pie will be tasty, but still a bit “wet” to slice.
10. Serve chilled. Add coconut whip cream on top if desired.
Happy National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day!
Original Recipe found here: http://www.babble.com/best-recipes/5-ingredient-vegan-pumpkin-cheesecake/