By Irini Mina
Sadly, not all of us are born with flawless skin; well, actually we are, but later on some of us get some 'face demons' that can not only ruin our face by causing scars, but they also bring our self-esteem down.
I am 22 years old, and I first started struggling with acne around the age of 14. I went to a dermatologist and had Benzoyl Peroxide and some medical type face wash prescribed to me. The BP was too harsh for my skin at the time considering my acne was not too bad, so it dried my face out a lot. Back then, I did not quite understand how crucial moisturizing the skin was; I believed by drying the face out everything would go away, which is an assumption a lot of girls make. Later on, my acne kept getting worse, and I tried almost every "miracle" product I could find and most of them would either not work, or work for a bit and then stop. It was really frustrating - not only the products not working, but also having to look at people everyday knowing that they probably paying more attention to your pimples instead of you.
Currently, I have found a few remedies and products that keep my face pimple free for the most part, unless it is that day of the month, or I am stressed (keep in mind I have hormonal acne).
- Most important thing of all: Drink as much water as possible! Your skin needs to be hydrated at all times for it to be and look healthy! I enjoy squeezing fresh lemon juice in it considering that way I am not only cleansing my body, but I am healing my acne scars from the inside out since lemon is very acidic.
- Wash your face twice a day with a gentle face wash! Personally, I love my African black soap by Nubian.
- It does not matter what season it is - always put sunscreen on your face! My acne scars got a lot darker due to me not doing this at first.
- Last but not least, moisturize your skin every day.
- Exfoliate all the dead skin off once a week and let the all the new and beautiful skin come up on the surface. New skin also means tender skin so here comes the sunscreen tip again
- Do not pop your pimples! I cannot stress this enough! I used to think that by doing so they would disappear, however, that’s far from the truth. I would end up with more pimples around that area, and with a scar.
Do you have any tips you would like to share? Comment them below!